Stock market timings in India are something that every investor, trader, and the person who directly or indirectly involved with the stock market should know.
In India there are two major stock exchanges in India
1.(BSE) Bombay stock exchange.
2.(NSE) National stock exchange.
The timing of both BSE & NSE is the same. Indian Stock Market closed on Saturday and Sunday. It is also closed on the national holidays. You can find the list of the holidays of the stock exchange below.
The normal trading time for equity market on both NSE and BSE is between 9:15 am to 03:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Trading time for commodity (MCX) market – 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM, Monday to Friday.
Trading time for Agri-community (NCDEX) market – 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM, Monday to Friday.
STOCK MARKET TIMINGS IN INDIA are divided into three sessions:
- Normal session
- Pre-opening session
- Post-closing session
NORMAL TRADING SESSION:
- Normal trading duration is between 9:15 AM to 3:30 PM.
- You can buy and sell stocks in this session.
- The normal trading session follows bilateral matching session i.e. whenever buying price is equal to the selling price, the transaction is complete. Here transactions are as per price and time priority.
The duration of the Pre-opening session in the Indian stock market is between 9:00 AM to 9:15 AM. This is more divided into three sub-sessions.
- 9:00 AM to 9:08 AM:– In this timing, you can place an order to buy and sell stocks. You can also modify or cancel his orders during this period. However, after 9.08 a.m. no new order shall be taken until 9.15 a.m.
- 9:08 AM to 9:12 AM: This session is used for order matching and for calculating the opening price of the normal session. You cannot modify or cancel the buy/sell order during this time.
- 9:12 AM to 9:15 AM: This session is used is buffer period to ensure a smooth transition from pre-market session to normal trading session.
However, most people do not use the pre-opening session and only use the normal session for trading. That’s why there is still huge volatility even in the normal session after the pre-opening session.
The time between 3:30 PM to 3:40 PM is used for closing price calculation. The closing price of a stock is the weighted average of the prices between 3:00 PM to 3:30 PM. For the indexes like Sensex & nifty, its closing price is the weighted average of the constituent stocks for the last 30 minutes i.e. Between 3:00 PM to 3:30 PM.
POST-CLOSING SESSION: The duration of the Post-closing session is between 3:40 PM to 4:00 PM. You can place orders to buy or sell stocks in the post-closing session at the closing price. If buyers/sellers are available then your trade will be confirmed at the closing price.